Thursday, November 22, 2007

The Glass

I've figured out the answer to the age old question, "Is the glass half empty or half full?"

I think it depends upon what's in the glass. If the glass contains something I really like, such as a vanilla milk shake, a great cup of hot chocolate, or fresh squeezed orange juice, I might say it's half empty, because I'd be disappointed there wasn't more left. If my glass still had some of that nasty stuff I have to drink before a colonoscopy or the barium mixture before an upper GI, I'd say it was half full because I wouldn't be looking forward to drinking the rest.

But then I would fail the optimist/pessimist test that seems to have the opposite meaning. Half full means I'm an optimist, while half empty is a pessimistic point of view.

So either way, I can't win, unless it's a vanilla milk shake. I'm happy any time I'm drinking that!

No comments: