Sunday, May 13, 2007

Similarities

Did you know roly-poly bugs (pill bugs) are like elephants? It has been raining here every other day, if not daily for the past three weeks, many times with severe thunderstorm, flooding, and tornado warnings. So I have not been able to do my regular spring spraying around the house to keep the bugs out. Strange as it seems, the roly-poly bugs are the first to invade.

This doesn’t bother me much, as sometimes it’s entertaining to watch the speed at which they circle around a wide perimeter of the family room. It’s not like they’re going to bite me if they catch up with me and they can’t climb up on the countertops to make nuisances of themselves, so I mostly just watch to make sure I don’t step on them and grind them into the carpet. You’d think as they expire, I’d be finding rolled up bodies all over, but instead, there are definitely two corners in my kitchen where I find piles of them. Like sick elephants that try to go to one spot to die, I think these corners must be roly-poly graveyards.

1 comment:

Sara said...

Continuing that thought...do you ever wonder why roaches mainly die lying on their backs? Like the one last thing they do before going to roach heaven, which I fancy is a big bowl of flour with hamburger chuncks, is to flip themselves over, wiggle their little nasty legs, and give up the roach ghost. Yeechhh!